Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Back in my day......

We used to rent movies from the video shop and sit around watching the films as a family. Adults on the sofa and kids on the floor. Instead of nachos and popcorn, we would be munching on fried papar and bombay mix. And all the movies had adverts, every 15 minutes, that consisted of doubling glazing.....basmati rice/ atta (flour).... or other movies.
And as with all Asian movies, they used to last a good 3 hours!! No joke.
As the years have gone by, we have had less time to sit there and enjoy our "cinema" nights. Although my sisters and I do make a concerted effort to have a movie night where we watch chick flicks, gorge on junk food and generally stay up til dawn messing about.

Ok well the point I was suppose to make was that have you noticed how the quality of films has deteriorated over the last decade? Sex and violence has become the unique selling point as well as the age limit for such films being lowered. Films that should be classed as 18 are labelled as 12 or 15 and swear words like "sh*t" are uttered in kiddy movies.

And maybe it's because I am older now that I dislike the current movies. I find that the storyline is just a rip off of an older film with a few remixes and some scantily clad men and women to attract the young generation....
What happened to good old films that portrayed women as shy and innocent? Men who were brave and respected? Storylines that actually had a story? Songs that had meaningful lyrics and flowed with the plot?
I miss the type of film that you could watch with your parents and not feel embarrassed because there was an inapproriate scene! lol

Some people say times are changing and the movie business has evolved......but I have evolved to appreciate a good plot over special effects and big name artists!
Given a choice of watching a new blockbuster or a movie from the 70s........ I think its time to get out the blankets and the bombay mix!!

( By the way I'm referring to Bollywood type movies here!!)

2 comments:

Effervescent said...

Lol I knoww dude... Uch even when mum puts on star plus, the advert comes for some tomato tins or something and everyones dancing and singin half dressed! It makes me sick, really makes me angry!
As for the films ive justgiven up on them! the last one I properly watched was Ghajini (dno if thats how you spell it) but before that there was Heyy Babyy and Welcome which werent too bad, although all of them nowadays are just sick. (the bad sick) the ones we use to watch when we were kids- yes boss, dil to pagal hai, pardes, they were the best!

They think theyr moving forward, i think theyr just trying to be 'modern' western, they should have stuck to the olden ones!

Kav-Lee said...

"yeeehh mera dil.. puree ka deewana!!" lol
I love those adverts they are so embarasssing it's funny!

I agree with your film choices but I am talking about the 60s and 70s mostly. Actors like The Kapoor family, Amitabh Bachan, Dhamendra, Hema Malini etc etc. You could watch their films, enjoy it with every family member yound and old!